Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Time flies (sorry no original title)

I was sitting at Palm Sunday Mass with my almost 17 year old (?!?!?!?), as we were reading the Passion and every year I flash back to 14 years back or so when she first heard it and actually retained any of it.  We were watching Jesus Christ Superstar a lot then, she loved the music (still does), and went to mass as usual, when she bursts out crying, loud sobs actually.  We usually sat in the front so I took her to the bathroom and quieted her down.  She cried, "He died!" over and over, obivously talking about Jesus.  My poor child traumatized, by religion at an early age, lol.  I love that kid, she still has that sense of compassion (i.e. read, everything makes her cry.  I have no idea where she gets that from ;)  ).  Fast forward a few years later, we had since moved to Detroit and she was attending Catholic School near our home, where we also attended church.  Again, reading the Passion and as we're standing up as a congregation and following along, Peter is told he will deny Jesus not once but three times.  She is paying close attention, and gets upset when the cock crows right after the third time and she gets upset because she just doesn't understand why he did it, not just the once, but three times!  As if she has not heard this story, it gets to her every time.  Have I mentioned how much I love this girl?  She is a pain,,,an unorganized pain, but she has the heart of gold and the compassion that every person should hope to have.

ugh, mush.

No comments: